Lung Cancer- Everything you should know!
Fact- More people die of lung cancer than breast, prostate and colon cancer.
The other name for lung cancer is lung carcinoma. It is a lung disease with the highest mortality rate. It is also one of the fastest spreading cancers and a common cause of death in the present times, owing to increase in pollution and unhealthy lifestyle.
Patients, who have a family history of lung diseases, lung cancer, are more prone to the disease. Sometimes exposure to radiation therapies can trigger the growth of cancer cells in the body. A heavy consumer of tobacco, cigarettes and pipe-smoking is naturally exposed to the risks of lung cancer. The spread of cancer cells to other parts of the body is known as metastasis and this is what makes cancer more fatal.
Lung cancer start off at the lungs or the lining of the respiratory tracts and spread to other parts of the body, affecting the brain, liver, bones, glands and lymph nodes.
TYPES OF LUNG CANCER
- Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer- This is one of the most commonly seen forms of lung cancers. These malignant cells are usually found in the lining of the respiratory tracts.
- Small Cell Lung Cancer- This type of cancer spreads the quickest. The other name for small cell lung cancer is oat cell cancer.
- Lung Carcinoid Cancer- This form of cancer does not spread easily. The growth rate is slow, and is one of the rare few types of cancer that can be arrested, even if temporarily. Carcinoid cancers affect the neuroendocrine cells of the body.
- Mesothelioma- It is another common type of lung cancer that is a result of excessive exposure to asbestos.
SYMPTOMS OF LUNG CANCER
The scariest attribute of lung cancer is that you do not realise it is cancer until it is too late. Most of the symptoms start off similar to that of a bad cold. This leads to negligence of the condition in the earlier stage. Since lung cancer is a speedily spreading cancer, it is usually detected at a much-advanced stage.
Some of the symptoms that a patient should be aware of and seek immediate medical assistance:
1. Unusual loss of weight
2. Constant headaches
4. Hoarseness of the voice
5. Respiratory difficulties such as shortness of breath
6. Constant cough that refuses to reduce even after taking medicines
7. Presence of blood in the phlegm when coughing, even the slightest trace of it
8. Persistent weakness and malaise
9. Unexplained chest pain
10. Loss of appetite
11. Recurring respiratory infections
UNDERSTANDING THE LUNG ANATOMY
The lungs are the two vital spongy organs presented on both sides of the chest or thorax. The lungs act like airbags that fill up with air during inhalation and deflate upon exhalation. The function of the lungs is to extract and absorb oxygen from the air and release carbon dioxide. Oxygen is the chief component of our blood stream and the entire functioning of our body is dependent upon oxygen.
When the lungs are affected by cancer, the lungs are discoloured and there is uncontrollable growth of malignant tumours and cell clusters that will hinder the functioning of the lungs and eventually lead to respiratory failure.
DIAGNOSIS FOR LUNG CANCER
If your medical expert suspects cancer, he will use several diagnostic procedures to assess the situation and suggest treatment procedures accordingly.
- X-Ray and CT Scans- These are different types of imaging tests and scans conducted to find any abnormal growth of cells and tissues or lesions, tumours.
- Sputum Cytology- Sputum and phlegm maybe collected and tested in the laboratory for the presence of cancer cells.
- Biopsy- One of the most common diagnostic methods for cancer, it refers to the collection tissue samples that are removed from the body and examined under the microscope and analysed for the presence of cancer.
LUNG CANCER TREATMENT
‘Jiyo India’ can assist you in gaining access to the best cancer hospital in India and treat your lung cancer in best-possible way. Take a glance on types of treatment Jiyo India can help;
- Surgery- Depending upon the spread of cancer, the doctor will decide if surgery is a feasible treatment option. Wedge or segmental resection is a process of removing portion of the affected area containing the malignant tumour and some of the surrounding non-malignant cells. Pneumonectomy is the procedure of removing an entire lung. Surgery has to be followed by radiation therapy and chemotherapy to kill any existing cancer cells and prevent the further spread of the disease.
- Radiation Therapy-Radiation therapy refers to powerful energy beams from a X-ray or similar machine, directed to cancer-affected areas of the body and used to kill cancer cells.
- Chemotherapy- Chemotherapy is used to arrest cancer cells, alleviate pain and cure cancer. It can be used before or after surgery. Chemotherapy refers to the use of a combination of high dosage drugs that are given orally or intravenously over a period of time.
Other treatment procedures for advanced stages of lung cancer include
- Targeted drug therapy
RISK OF THE DISEASE
Typically, once a patient has been diagnosed with lung cancer, he or she will approximately live for about 5 years depending upon the spread of cancer. When diagnosed early, the survival chances increase automatically.
Without treatment, patients with rapidly spreading NSCL cancer can make it to a maximum of 6 months or a year.
PREVENTION OF LUNG CANCER
1. Avoid Smoking – If you are not in the habit of smoking, avoid being driven to it by peer pressure or stress. This is the chief cause of lung and oral cancer, hence, stay away if you can.
2. Quit Smoking - If you are a chain smoker, quit now.
3. Avoid Being A Passive Smoker- You may be surprised to know that being a passive smoker can harm you quicker and than it can harm a smoker. Stay away from an individual who is smoking.
4. Protect Yourself From Air Pollution, Carcinogenic Substances And Chemicals- When you allow your respiratory system to be exposed to noxious emissions, vehicle fumes, chemicals, smoke and gases, you put yourself at a high risk of developing lung cancer.
5. Make Changes In Your Diet- Your body has to be devised to protect you from diseases. To strengthen your immune system, our body’s natural defence mechanism, make sure to include a number of fresh green vegetables, fruits and herbs. Antioxidants help to protect from cancer-causing free radicals.
6. Exercise Daily And Follow A Healthy Lifestyle- Deep breathing exercises, strengthening of the chest muscles, brisk walking, jogging, free hand exercises are all beneficial and keeping the body functioning properly and in the prevention of diseases.
WHY SHOULD YOU CHOOSE US;
1. Jiyo India can connect you to the top oncologists, pulmonologists and all other medical specialists for the best lung cancer treatment in India.
2. For all healthcare requirements, we will provide references for the best cancer hospitals in India and highly experienced and the most proficient health practitioners.
3. We can help you by customising cost-effective medical packages to suit budget requirements of patients belonging to varied economic backgrounds.
4. Being the largest and the most reliable healthcare service provider based in Delhi, we can easily connect you to the best cancer hospital in Delhi and all other major cities of India.
5. We understand that time is very crucial so we save you all the hassles of complicated and prolonged hospital admission procedures.
6. Besides providing you affordable medical packages, we assist you by providing medical checkups anywhere, priority doctor appointments, aids for travel and lodging and all other related paperwork such as visa assistance.
7. We aspire to serve humanity and understand the various concerns and constrictions when it comes to healthcare services.
Trust worthy healthcare services are easy to avail with ‘Jiyo India’, get membership now to gain access to best-possible lung cancer treatment.
1. I am really thankful to Jiyo India staff for the efforts they made for us in getting best-possible lung cancer treatment. They took care of the end-to-end procedure, right from opening our file to complete treatment process. My family is thankful from the core our heart to the surgeon’s team for the best-possible effort in treating my father’s lung cancer.
2. Lung Cancer is a deadly disease and it is important to choose right doctor before its late to handle it. My family was really lucky to have Jiyo India because they took us to an expert doctor that handled the situation very well. My mom was more than happy to see their kind behaviour and the way they served till the end of treatment.
3. Jiyo India is a remarkable group to join. Their staff members are prompt and never delays in responding your queries. They guided me to consult best doctor of India, helped to get the treatment cost-effectively. Really thankful to Jiyo India team to give me necessary guidance to treat my lung cancer in fastest possible way. Highly recommend their name to everyone.